2 Rectangle Fun Quilt-Along: Yardage Requirements

The sizes given for the following quilts are recommended sizes only. To adjust the length or width of your quilt, you will need to adjust the border (wider or narrower border), and not the number of blocks. The block size is the same for all the quilt variations (5.5 x 10.5″). The recommended yardage is based on fabric measuring 44″ wide. In most cases, the yardage given here is pretty tight, so you might want to calculate a little extra (in case of mistakes?). To add extra fabrics, keep in mind that you will be cutting your rectangles and squares out of 5.5″ strips, so you need to make sure you can fit multiples of these strips within the yardage you have selected.

CUSTOM SIZE (QUEEN) QUILT:

My finished quilt will measure 90 x 110.” Altogether, I will need 152 rectangles measuring 5.5 x 10.5,” and 16 squares measuring 5.5 x 5.5.” I am working with 13 fabrics for the top, plus an additional (14th) fabric for the border. If you wish to make this exact same quilt, you will need 1/2 yard of 9 fabrics, 2/3 yard of 4 more fabrics, and 1 yd for the border.

I am able to purchase very wide Egyptian cotton sheet fabric for the backing, so basically have to purchase the length of the quilt top plus about 10 inches. The amount you will need will depend on how wide your backing fabric is and if you will need to seam it. Just make sure to have about 4 inches extra on all four sides.

DOUBLE (FULL) SIZE QUILT:

This quilt finished will measure 85 x 100.” Altogether, you will need 128 rectangles measuring 5.5 x 10.5,” and 14 squares measuring 5.5 x 5.5.” Below are the yardage requirements for the quilt top. You may choose how many fabrics you want to work with.

14 fabrics: 1/2 yard of 13of the  fabrics. You will also need 1 yard for the border.

12 fabrics: 1/2 yard of 11 of the  fabrics. You will also need 1 yard for the border.

10 fabrics:  2/3 yard of 9 of the fabrics.  You will also need 1 yard for the border.

8 fabrics: 1 yard of 7 of the fabrics.  You will also need 1 yard for the border.

TWIN SIZE QUILT:

This quilt finished will measure 75 x 100.” Altogether, you will need 111 rectangles measuring 5.5 x 10.5,” and 12 squares measuring 5.5 x 5.5.” Below are the yardage requirements for the quilt top. You may choose how many fabrics you want to work with.

14 fabrics: 1/3 yard of 6 fabrics, and 1/2 yard of 7 other fabrics. You will also need 1 yard for the border.

12 fabrics: 1/2 yard of 11 of the fabrics. You will also need 1 yard for the border.

10 fabrics:  1/2 yard of 6 of the fabrics, and 2/3 yard of 3 other fabrics (you will be cutting the 5.5″ squares from these fabrics).  You will also need 1 yard for the border.

8 fabrics: 1/2 yard of 4 of the fabrics, and 2/3 yard of 3 other fabrics (you will be cutting the 5.5″ squares from these fabrics).  You will also need 1 yard for the border.

LAP SIZE QUILT:

This quilt finished will measure 60 x 60.” Altogether, you will need  45 rectangles measuring 5.5 x 10.5,” and 10 squares measuring 5.5 x 5.5.” Below are the yardage requirements for the quilt top. Because this is is smaller quilt, I don’t recommend working with more than 8 fabrics (unless you make it scrappy, of course).

8 fabrics: 1/3 yard of 7 of the fabrics, and 1 yard for the border.

CRIB SIZE QUILT:

This quilt finished will measure 40 x 50.” Altogether, you will need 21 rectangles measuring 5.5 x 10.5,” and 6 squares measuring 5.5 x 5.5.” Because this is is smaller quilt, I don’t recommend working with more than 4 fabrics for the top (unless you make it scrappy, of course). In this case, you will need 1/3 yard of 4 fabrics, plus 3/4 yard for the border.

8 fabrics: 1/3 yard of 7 of the fabrics, and 1 yard for the border.

SCRAPPY VERSIONS:

If you will be using scraps, you will have to make your own calculations, based on the number of rectangles and squares indicated for each size. Rectangles will be cut at 5.5 x 10.5″ and squares are 5.5.”

TO WASH OR NOT TO WASH?

Just a quick word on this issue, which in a way reflects on my attitude about all aspects of quilting. IT IS UP TO YOU. There is absolutely no quilt police in my world. Some people prefer to wash before cutting, some don’t. All have valid reasons for their choice. I have my own… sometimes I do, sometimes I don’t. Most of the time I do, simply because I don’t like the feel of chemicals in the fabric. Sometimes I don’t, because I’m just plain lazy or in a hurry. I haven’t seen that it makes a difference in terms of shrinkage or bleeding. Maybe I’ve been lucky, because I have never had problems. And that’s that! 🙂

Back to: Intro

Next: Cutting the Blocks

This entry was posted in Rectangle Fun Quilt-Along |Comments closed

14 Comments

1. Posted September 4, 2010 at 6:22 pm | Permalink

Darn it, I’m off on holidays starting Monday for guess what — 2 weeks. I’ll pick this up when I get back. I love this quilt, Angie. I’ll pick up fabrics for it on holiday and this will be my souvenir.
    Thanks Angie. Another great pattern.

2. Lady Gem
    Posted September 4, 2010 at 6:36 pm | Permalink

It looks very simple and I love it! I just hope I can remember to keep coming back for updates lol. Are you maybe going to post that there are updates on your regular site? I am on the mailing list 🙂 I think fall colors would be perfect!
    LG

• Posted September 4, 2010 at 6:40 pm | Permalink

Yes, I will update on the website, and on Facebook and Twitter.

3. Jean
    Posted September 4, 2010 at 11:24 pm | Permalink

I LOVE IT…that’s just my kind of quilt, think I will dig through my stash and see what I can come up with. Wonder how it would look using Batiks? I just might have to see about color variations in what I have.. I also love the Fall colors. Thanks for the pattern. I love your work.

4. Posted September 5, 2010 at 3:44 am | Permalink

Thank you! Gracias por el tutorial. Es una colcha estupenda, ideal para cuando queremos hacer algo rápido pero bonito y efectista!
    Un saludo desde España.

5. Shobha
    Posted September 5, 2010 at 2:05 pm | Permalink

Thank you for this quiltalong……it really seems to be a fine pattern and as you say easy for the beginner and good for the quilter with experience to show off her “QUILTING”.Just one question…….can we have the instructions,yardages etcs in PDF?Please ?I like to have a folder with all the instructions.:)
    Quiltyhugs

• Posted September 5, 2010 at 3:26 pm | Permalink

Shoba, that is completely doable. Would you be interested in a pdf for every step or for the whole shebang once the quilt is completed?

6. Posted September 5, 2010 at 5:00 pm | Permalink

your quilt is beautiful and looks like so much fun! Thanks for showing all the details and variations. I love hearing about your process of choosing exactly the right pattern for your dear friends!

7. sherry
    Posted September 5, 2010 at 5:19 pm | Permalink

I am going to follow along with this one. Thanks Angie for another great pattern. PDF would be great for following along. If it’s not too much trouble for you. I’m following along either way & don’t want to sound ungrateful for the free pattern! 🙂

8. Cher
    Posted September 5, 2010 at 11:17 pm | Permalink

I think even I could tackle this quilt, looks very doable. Looking forward to it, I am pulling fabric to fit. PDF ‘s would be great, Thanks for the info. Cher

9. Lean
    Posted September 6, 2010 at 5:49 am | Permalink

Dear Angie,

If possible I would prefer PDF files too.

Kindest Regards
    Lean

10. Anna in Illinois
    Posted September 6, 2010 at 8:18 am | Permalink

Just a note to say I love what you are doing and will follow along as it goes. If you can do PDF, that would be wonderful but I’ll cut and paste, if need be.
    Mucho gracias,
    Anna in IL

11. Karen
    Posted September 6, 2010 at 8:36 am | Permalink

I came across your quilt photo, and love it.. beautiful color choices.. May I have the PDF file as well? I am more a learner when reading/ seeing so it will help out with how to create my own quilt top using your pattern here.. I hope mine turns out as awesome as yours did here..
    thanks.

12. Shobha
    Posted September 6, 2010 at 9:09 am | Permalink

Thanks for the quick reply……..PDF´S for all the steps please.?That would be wonderful…..going to pick out the fabrics this evening ,if possible…..and how often would we get the steps?If you.ve already said it in the above post…it has flown off my brain………Thanks and Quiltyhugs.

• Angie Padilla

I am a self-learner. I taught myself to sew and to quilt. And I taught myself how to draw. I am learning how to dye my own fabrics and am dabbling with mixed media. I am a quilt designer and teacher, and design and publish my own line of quilt patterns. With this blog I would like to share the bits and pieces of my life.

• Visit our Websites for Hundreds of Patterns!

2014-008