3 Rectangle Fun Quilt-Along: Cutting the Blocks

IMPORTANT NOTICE: I have prepared a pdf file for you with the fabric requirements and number of rectangles and squares you need to cut (best to right-click on that link, and save to your computer). I found a couple of errors in my yardage calculations from the previous post. Nothing major – I just over calculated in a couple of instances. Not that anybody would be terribly upset about having extra fabric, what? Also, for the lap sized quilt I made a mistake: you need 45 rectangles, not 90.

OK, HERE WE GO!

A quick recap. Check below the size of the quilt you will be making for the number of rectangles and squares you will be cutting. In all cases  we will be cutting rectangles measuring 5.5 x 10.5 inches and squares measuring 5.5 x 5.5 inches.

Custom Queen (Finished size: 90 x 110″): 152 rectangles and 16 squares.

Full Size (Finished size: 85 x 100″): 128 rectangles  and 14 squares.

Twin (Finished size: 75 x 100″):  111 rectangles and 12 squares.

Lap (Finished size: 60 x 60″): 45 rectangles and 10 squares .

Crib (Finished size: 40 x 50″): 21 rectangles and 6 squares.

CUTTING THE RECTANGLES AND SQUARES:

Cut your fabrics in strips measuring 5.5 inches x the width of your fabric (should be 44 – 45″ wide). You should be able to get 4 rectangles out of each strip.

Depending on the size of the quilt you will be working on, the number of  rectangles you need to cut from each fabric will vary (please refer to the pdf file for the number to cut for each quilt). In some cases, you will only be cutting one, two, or three rectangles from a strip. Use the remaining piece from any cut strips to cut your squares.

Once you have cut all your rectangles and squares, stack them up nicely next to your sewing machine, as we are now READY TO SEW! Will be back with that in a couple of days.

yardage requirements and cutting instructions pdf file

(best to right-click and save to your computer)

Back to: Yardage Requirements

Next: New PDF link

This entry was posted in Rectangle Fun Quilt-Along |Comments closed

15 Comments

1. Cheryl
    Posted September 6, 2010 at 12:53 pm | Permalink

Hi Angie, I was not able to locate the pdf file. Says it can’t be found. Thanks for providing the pdf files though- they are easier to handle.

• Posted September 6, 2010 at 1:09 pm | Permalink

Cheryl, the file is there. Try right-clicking and saving to your computer.

2. Sharon
    Posted September 6, 2010 at 1:04 pm | Permalink

I’m just finishing up a project then I will be cutting my blocks.

3. Peggy baker
    Posted September 6, 2010 at 1:49 pm | Permalink

Hi, I think the pdf file was an inspired thought!!! I plan on making 2 of these, on for each son. They look simple and finishable. Thank you very much.

4. Nancy
    Posted September 6, 2010 at 5:30 pm | Permalink

In the first line, (I have prepared a pdf file) I clicked on words .pdf file and it went right to it. Thanks. I did a right click and it wanted to save to my computer but I wasn’t sure where it would save. I can’t wait to get started. Keep up the great work.
    Thanks

5. Barbara
    Posted September 6, 2010 at 6:33 pm | Permalink

Thank you for the directions. I cannot retrieve the pdf file even when I right click and saved it to “Favorites”. I enjoy your free motion directions and I will try it soon.

6. Jean
    Posted September 6, 2010 at 11:58 pm | Permalink

Angie, so sorry but I can’t download the pdf either. I’ve tried several ways, and had DS try and he said it’s a damaged link… I’m anxious to do this quilt…

7. C J
    Posted September 7, 2010 at 2:44 am | Permalink

I wonder if those of us who cannot download are Mac owners? I cannot right click with my mouse.

• Posted September 7, 2010 at 7:11 am | Permalink

I’m going to ask my techie about this one, CJ. Just clicking on the link should open the file up. In any case, I’ll ask him for another solution.

8. Shobha
    Posted September 7, 2010 at 5:54 am | Permalink

Angie thanks for the PDF files.Like Nancy I too clicked on the first link….I have it saved,now to look for fabrics and start cutting……..Hope to keep up with you.
    Quiltyhugs

9. sherry
    Posted September 7, 2010 at 6:43 am | Permalink

Thanks for the pdf Angie. It’s much appreciated. The first link worked for me as well.

10. Carolyn
    Posted September 7, 2010 at 6:24 pm | Permalink

.pdf file downloaded for me NO problems

11. Nancy Collins
    Posted September 7, 2010 at 7:17 pm | Permalink

If you click on pdf file at the very top, the file will open. It is beside “IMPORTANT NOTICE”. I hope this will work for everyone! The link that is bold towards the bottom of the page is the one that does not work.

Good luck everyone 🙂

12. Barbara
    Posted September 8, 2010 at 4:21 pm | Permalink

Thank you. It worked.

• Angie Padilla

I am a self-learner. I taught myself to sew and to quilt. And I taught myself how to draw. I am learning how to dye my own fabrics and am dabbling with mixed media. I am a quilt designer and teacher, and design and publish my own line of quilt patterns. With this blog I would like to share the bits and pieces of my life.

• Visit our Websites for Hundreds of Patterns!

2014-008